couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <>
Subject Re: How to contribute - especially authentication
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:53:20 GMT
Hello David

On Jun 16, 2008, at 17:36, David Pitman wrote:

> G'day,
> I've been playing with CouchDB for a couple of weeks and will be
> using it
> for a couple of projects - but I need to have the security /
> authentication
> features available before I can go too much further with using it in
> the
> real world.

And a proxy/filter/middleware in front of CouchDB doesn't solve your

> I'm very keen to help with making this happen if I can, before I
> have a go -
>    - is this feature currently being worked on?  If so, is further
> help
> required?

Nobody is currently working on this. We are still pretty much in the
phase and not really there either since we are working on more pressing
things at the moment. Other folks have voiced interest in heling out,
haven't followed up yet.

>    - any tips for where and how to start? (I've read everything I
> can find
> via Google)

There's the general technical overview here: and
  includes a nice summary, but that is rather a suggestion
than a fixed and agreed-upon guideline. Any input is always appreciated.

>    - I am totally new to Erlang - am I likely to be able to contribute
> anything useful to the project given that I'll have to learn the
> language as
> I go?

Yeah. Get Joe Armstrong's 'Programming Erlang' book and you are
good to go.

> Thanks for all the good work on CouchDB so far - pretty nifty to say
> the
> least...  If I've posted this to the wrong place - please let me
> know where
> it should have gone!

We're glad you like it and appreciate your desire to help.

View raw message