couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: svn commit: r660139 - /incubator/couchdb/trunk/src/couchdb/couch_httpd.erl
Date Mon, 26 May 2008 10:03:48 GMT
Hey Jan,

On 26.05.2008, at 11:28, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> On May 26, 2008, at 11:20, cmlenz@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: cmlenz
>> Date: Mon May 26 02:20:47 2008
>> New Revision: 660139

>> Log:
>> Change error handling on unknown private paths to be more
>> consistent with how other errors are handled.
>
> This was a deliberate derivation from the error
> handling to be more user-friendly. That is, directly
> show the user that they meant "/_utils" when they
> tried "/_util".

I understand that, but I think this is a slippery slope, and it *is* a
deviation :)

First, there are other "private paths" (not sure that's even a good
name): /_all_dbs, /_compact, /_search, /_replicate. So even this early
in the process we've forgotten to add quite a number of URLs to the
list of "known private paths". And as long as the URL mapping is not
dynamic/modular, we'll have to remember to keep the list in sync with
the URLs actually in use.

Second, where do you stop? You could argue the same about special URLs
in the database namespace: /_view, /_design, /_all_docs, etc.

Finally, is it really that hard to remember that it's "/_utils" and
not "/_util"? Or just try the former after the latter failed? :P

> with the advent of customizable private paths, I though
> this a valuable addition.

But that's not there yet. I'd rather wait until it's in place (or we
have a better idea about the design) until designing special error
messages with that feature in mind.

But of course I can back out the change if you don't agree with any of
my arguments, it's not such a big deal anyway :)

Cheers,
--
Christopher Lenz
   cmlenz at gmx.de