couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: More 0.8 Release TODO
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 19:42:47 GMT

On May 29, 2008, at 21:28, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 08:22:36PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> It'd be nice if revisions could be retained for a change history in a
>> wiki for example. I know that it is possible to build that now, but
>> using the built in revision support feels more natural.
>
> Sure. As it stands, CouchDB was designed not to work like this so I
> read your response as a tacit approval in change of direction on
> this front.

Correct, that's why I opened the bug report/feature request. :)

> I agree that it would be nice, was just wondering if it's a
> direction that
> Damien feels should be explored, etc. :)

The last statement from Damien is that is to be considered because
a lot of people ask for it and it seems like a valuable addition (not
that we put in things just because a lot of people ask :-). There are a
bunch of issues with this, it obviously makes the compaction code more
complex and there are issues that need to be addressed when replicating
older revisions that might prove complex as well. Also, until there are
more pressing issues, like group reduce, 0.8, and possibly 1.0, we
focus on those.

Cheers
Jan