couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Hans Dieter Pearcey <...@pobox.com>
Subject feature suggestion
Date Sun, 18 May 2008 18:11:23 GMT
(I haven't seen discussion of this, so if it's come up, I apologize.)

I'd like to be able to have views that are only updated on-demand, that is,
when specifically requested to update, rather than whenever they are read.

The use case is for a db that sees both heavy writes and heavy reads.  It may
be undesirable for views to be updated on each read; that causes a lot of small
writes, probably meaning a lot more seeks.  Allowing views to be updated
explicitly rather than implicitly means that the writes can be batched on an
application's terms, often improving performance.

Is this reasonable?  I'm basing this on past experience with data storage, not
on any CouchDB specifics.

hdp.