couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB status report due
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 04:34:35 GMT
Heya Ted,

On Mar 31, 2008, at 19:40 , Ted Leung wrote:
> Ok folks,
>
> The automated reminder system (Marvin) just sent out the notices
> asking for board reports for the April board meeting.   We missed
> the March report, so we really need to get our act together and put
> together a report this time.    Once Noel creates the appropriate
> page, we can put our report there.  For examples of reports, see: <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2008

> >.

I am not quite sure who you addressing here, that is, who's
responsible to do what now, but since you've sent this to -dev, I
guess we all are :-)

Here's a draft. I have never done this before and looking at the
examples you linked to, it might be a bit verbose. Feel free (anyone)
to edit the draft in any way. I am in no way attached to what compiled
here:

(For the sake of readability, I ommitted any wiki markup)

CouchDB

IPMC Reviews:

CouchDB is a distributed document database written in Erlang. The
project entered incubation on February 12th, 2008.

The infrastructure (SVN, JIRA, mailing lists etc) have been set up and
the team started moving source and documentation from their former
homes to the ASF.

Work on CouchDB that has begun earlier is being continued and
committed to the new repository. This includes a major refactoring and
subsequent simplification of the core code base (-500 (ca. 10%) LOC)
and its modularisation. The storage and view engines are now separate
entities that can be worked on independently. This was done in
preparation for the upcoming database compaction feature, which is in
its final stages of development.

At the same time, the mochiweb branch is very active, entirely driven
by Christopher Lenz. The goal of this branch is to replace the Erlang/
OTP inets HTTP server with the more appropriate Mochiweb package. This
is still work in progress, but at the moment, more than half of our
test suite succeeds.

Noah Slater's been active to review, move and convert the contents of http://couchdbwiki.com

, the former home of the CouchDB documentation to the ASF provided
MoinMoin installation. That includes the setup of human readable
redirects and the development of a set of mod_rewrite rules that still
need to be set up.

Damien Katz is sill fighting the current host of the couchdb.* domains
to successfully redirect to our new virtual homes.

The IBM software grant that is required for Damien Katz's code
contributions is reportedly on file with the ASF.

--

Cheers
Jan