couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jan Lehnardt <>
Subject Re: couch 0.8.0 release
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:42:28 GMT
Heya Damien,
On Apr 15, 2008, at 17:05, Damien Katz wrote:
> Storage compaction and mochiweb are now checked in. We need to think  
> about getting the next release done.


> What should the criteria be for the next release? Here are some of  
> my thoughts:
> If we plan any significant interface changes in HTTP, javascript,  
> etc, they should be done by 0.8.0. The longer we wait to make  
> interface changes, the more apps and libraries we break and the less  
> likely it will ever get done.

This sounds very sensible. What possible changes are we looking at?
Here's what I could think of off the cuff:

- HTTP API for triggering and monitoring compaction
- Fulltext Search
- attachment handling

We have at least plannend changes for each of those. Anything else?

> We need to have an upgrade utility and instructions for going from  
> 0.7 to 0.8

For the future we probably want to have a utility that we can use  
manage upgrades, so we could try and make one now, that we can reuse  
for further updates or we just write something together that works for  
now and deal with a more general approach later.

> Bugs and client compatibility problems with mochiweb are okay for  
> 0.8.0 As problems crop up, we'll fix them and release patches.
> The database internals should not have known bugs, but this is still  
> alpha software. I think we need to make it clearer on the site,  
> download pages, readme, etc that CouchDB isn't reliable yet. For  
> example, CouchDB isn't an acid database on OSX (maybe all BSDs), but  
> is on Linux, because of platform specific flags etc. These are  
> problems that will be fixed before shipping, but for now might cause  
> a lot of pain.

We should probably open documentation bugs for these things. Any takers?

One more thing: Christopher Lenz will be on holiday until mid-may and  
I suggest holding off at least until then, since he had a great chunk  
in the current changes, so his timely response to problem reports  
might be desirable.


View raw message