couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB status report due
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 21:47:19 GMT

On Apr 3, 2008, at 17:08, Ted Leung wrote:
>> Here's a draft. I have never done this before and looking at the
>> examples you linked to, it might be a bit verbose. Feel free
>> (anyone) to edit the draft in any way. I am in no way attached to
>> what compiled here:
>
> We missed a report for one month, so we have more stuff to say (we
> are suppposed to report every month for the 1st 3 months of
> incubation, and then settle into a 3 month rotation thereafter.
> Once we graduate, we'll also be on a 3 month rotation).   Keep in
> mind that the board has a stack of these reports to read, so tighter
> is better.

So you say we should write more with less words? :)

I could add that we waited for our mentors and eventually set up
infrastructure. There's not a lot more that actually did happen[1]
(anyone, please correct me if I am wrong). Should the first report
include a more detailed description of CouchDB for the benefit of the
board?

[1]: Possible things to mention: The fancypants branch, build system
improvements, discussion about fulltext indexing.

>> (For the sake of readability, I ommitted any wiki markup)
>>
>> CouchDB
>>

>> IPMC Reviews:
>>
>> CouchDB is a distributed document database written in Erlang. The
>> project entered incubation on February 12th, 2008.
>>
>> The infrastructure (SVN, JIRA, mailing lists etc) have been set up
>> and the team started moving source and documentation from their
>> former homes to the ASF.
>>
>> Work on CouchDB that has begun earlier is being continued and
>> committed to the new repository. This includes a major refactoring
>> and subsequent simplification of the core code base (-500 (ca. 10%)
>> LOC) and its modularisation. The storage and view engines are now
>> separate entities that can be worked on independently. This was
>> done in preparation for the upcoming database compaction feature,
>> which is in its final stages of development.
>>
>> At the same time, the mochiweb branch is very active, entirely
>> driven by Christopher Lenz. The goal of this branch is to replace
>> the Erlang/OTP inets HTTP server with the more appropriate Mochiweb
>> package. This is still work in progress, but at the moment, more
>> than half of our test suite succeeds.
>>
>> Noah Slater's been active to review, move and convert the contents
>> of http://couchdbwiki.com, the former home of the CouchDB
>> documentation to the ASF provided MoinMoin installation. That
>> includes the setup of human readable redirects and the development
>> of a set of mod_rewrite rules that still need to be set up.
>>
>> Damien Katz is sill fighting the current host of the couchdb.*
>> domains to successfully redirect to our new virtual homes.
>>
>> The IBM software grant that is required for Damien Katz's code
>> contributions is reportedly on file with the ASF.
>
> Well, we have Damien's grant.   I don't believe IBM has anything to
> say about CouchDB, although they may now have something to say about
> his current work since he is employed there.    I think there's a
> question about whether IBM's CCLA needs updating to cover Damien in
> this regard.

Ok: IANAL and have generally no insight into any of that. Damien, can
you clarify?

Anything else we need? You are a bit vague with your request :)

Cheers
Jan