couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lazy Fulltext Search
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:23:55 GMT
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:32:21PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> My proposed architectural change would be to trigger the Indexer from
> the Searcher module when a request comes in, just like views work. This
> would delay the creation of fulltext indexes until they are
> actually needed.

I thought that the advantage of full text search systems is that you can perform
a lot of work up front in exchange for very fast queries later on. This proposal
would seem to make the trade-off in performance without the associated benefit.

> The possible drawback though is, that when building the fulltext index
> is rather slow, old-style pre-calculation might be more feasible. View
> deal with that by requiring frequent requests (possibly cron-ed).

My understanding is that the KEY element of CouchDB Wiews is that they are
generated in advance, and incrementally, before you use them.

What you're proposing for the full text indexing sounds like quite the opposite
to me, though I may be totally wrong.

--
Noah Slater - The Apache Software Foundation <http://www.apache.org/>