couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Initial code drop
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:47:57 GMT
Hello list, and welcome to the ASF! Sorry for chiming in late, I just
discovered GMail thought that everything that was sent to this list
was spam, hopefully this is corrected now.

On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:09:50PM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> Damien Katz is the sole author of CouchDB, Noah Slater's work is
>> the build
>> system and Christopher Lenz developed the administration interface. I
>> contributed the initial Lucene part of the fulltext search and
>> some minor
>> things. We all were aware of the License change and informally
>> agreed to
>> assign any copyright to Damien. I don't know if that is sufficient
>> for the
>> situation but that's how it stands :-)
>
> This is incorrect.
>
> We all agreed to reclience the code under the APL but I did not
> agree to assign
> copyright to anyone and the source contains files that are
> seperately licenced
> by my self, Jan and Damien. Chris was the only person who assigned
> copyright to
> Damien for this contribution.

I'm a tad concerned about this statement. Notwithstanding which
copyright assignment were performed in the past, I just wanted to
double check that every copyright holder of CouchDB code agrees to
donate their software to the ASF via a copyright assignment. While
individuals will still retain their copyright, the one and only way
to work with Apache is with the foundation having code copyright
assigned. Am I right in assuming that every CouchDB contributor
agrees to (a) donate the existing code to the ASF via a code grant/
copyright assignment and (b) assign copyright to the ASF via the CLA
for present/future work?

Thanks,

--
Gianugo Rabellino