couchdb-commits mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Couchdb Wiki] Update of "Meeting20121014" by DaveCottlehuber
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 21:28:39 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Couchdb Wiki" for change notification.

The "Meeting20121014" page has been changed by DaveCottlehuber:
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Meeting20121014?action=diff&rev1=1&rev2=2

Comment:
v2

- Meeting Summary:
+ <<Include(EditTheWiki)>>
+ 
+ Meeting Minutes via -- DaveCottlehuber <<DateTime(2012-10-14T21:28:34Z)>>
+ 
+ <<TableOfContents(1)>>
+ 
+ = Futon2 =
+ 
+  * Broad consensus that we want to merge in @bigbluehat's [[https://github.com/bigbluehat/futon2|futon2]]
but that futon2 should not be a blocker
+  * @mainerror & @eckoit are keen to help with futon2
+  * <!> @eckoit to tell us where futon2 is at in next meeting
+ 
+ 
+ = Doc Versions =
+ 
+ What versions of documentation should we aim to provide?
+ 
+  * Propose to provide from 1.3.0 onwards only
+  * Changes since 1.2.0 should be easy to separate / keep clean
+  * <!> @dch to find a way to track which features were introduced in each release
+  * <!> @dch to note who is working on what in documentation land
+ 
+ = CouchApp Tool & Format =
+ 
+  * @dch proposed to defer til after 1.3.0 on settling on a specific couchapp format and
work on a consensus approach
+  * @eckoit and @chewbranca are keen to be involved in spearheading that with @benoitc
+  * Should we bundle [[https://github.com/benoitc/erica|erica]] @benoitc's erlang based couchapp
tool?
+ 
+ = CORS =
+ 
+  * Everybody wants to see this in 1.3.0
+  * <!> @benoitc hopes to branch this in the next couple of days
+ 
+ = 1.3.0 =
+ 
+  * Docs, CORS, and bug fixes are on the list
+  * If you have blockers for 1.3.0 mark them as such in JIRA
+  * <!> @wendall911 to coordinate packaging tests/integration for 1.3.0
+  * <!> @wendall911 to raise packaging a more recent erlang within .rpm/.deb files
as part of packaging discussions
+ 
+  * @mainerror & @wohali will help
+  * <!> @dch to review open JIRAs for blockers
+ 
+ = Test Suite =
+ 
+  * <!> @kocolosk and @benoitc to send summary of how tests are handled in bigcouch
& refuge
+  * read up on [[http://learnyousomeerlang.com/common-test-for-uncommon-tests|Common Test]]
+  * Feels like a > 1.3.0 thing
+  * @wendall911 is interested in MOAR tests
+ 
+ = Merge All the Forks =
+ 
+  * Very small number of people who will be directly involved
+  * Great opportunity to expose the inner workings & design choices inside CouchDB
+  * Looking for suggestions on how the wider CouchDB dev group can assist this
+  * Consensus around build system is required, suggesting post 1.3.0
+  * Nobody has yet disagreed to rebar wrapped in autotools, [[https://github.com/seth/rebar-tools|locked
rebar deps]] may be useful
+  * <!> @wendall911 and @wohali will consider this in packaging work
+  * <!> @kocolosk to provide woolly update on how cloudant and bigcouch and couchdb
fit together in the new world order
+ 
+ = Admin =
+ 
+  * 9pm Wednesday seems like a good time for those who made it (non sequitur of the century)
+  * <!> @dch to send out proper timezone announcement for next meeting
+  * <!> skip the bot and use @noe instead
+ 
+ = Other Stuff =
+ 
+  * <!> @dch is setting up a "Learn to Hack on Erlang/CouchDB" group with @garrenmsith
following from @wohali's efforts earlier this year
+  * <!> @noe to organise a learnyou/hack/something @couchdb.apache.org list for that
+  * @janl notes everybody needs to spend 10 hours watching his [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdDmRLa6q1s|horse]]
+ 
+ = IRC summary =
  
  {{{
  [2012/10/10 21:02] dch: I assume we have a quorum, so I suggest anybody who has a topic
they want to cover just replies #topic <stuff>
@@ -79, +151 @@

  [2012/10/10 22:31] tilgovi: benoitc: what is this?? https://github.com/refuge/rcouch/blob/master/package/deb/Makefile#L8
  }}}
  
- Full IRC log:
+ = Full Transcript =
  
  {{{
  [2012/10/10 21:00] dch: I hereby declare the first IRC meeting of the CouchDB Pirates open,
avast ye SQL users!
@@ -138, +210 @@

  [2012/10/10 21:13] noe: it should announce the meeting has started
  [2012/10/10 21:14] dch: aah well no pb, we'll survive
  [2012/10/10 21:14] noe: okay, i will issue commands as if it is here
- [2012/10/10 21:14] dch changed the topic to meeting - futon2
+ [2012/10/10 21:14] dch changed the topic tomeeting - futon2
  [2012/10/10 21:14] noe: i hope you saved the original topic
  [2012/10/10 21:14] dch: ok so futon2, jan____  you have the floor
  [2012/10/10 21:14] dch: @noe: natch
@@ -193, +265 @@

  [2012/10/10 21:20] Wohali: is jquery a dead dog?
  [2012/10/10 21:20] wendall911: something clean that could be incorporated into any framework
as a base would be ideal
  [2012/10/10 21:21] kocolosk: Wohali: no, certainly not - but the jquery.couch thing is getting
long in the tooth
- [2012/10/10 21:21] wendall911: Wohali: jquery-ui !== jquery
+ [2012/10/10 21:21] wendall911: Wohali: jquery-ui != jquery
  [2012/10/10 21:21] eckoit: mainerror: bikeshedding on bootstrap, we can discuss as we dig
into it
  [2012/10/10 21:21] Wohali: ahhhh
  [2012/10/10 21:21] dch: let's not beat this to death, mainerror do you are you happy to
send a summary to the ML on the evils of framework X and the wisdom of some alternative option?
@@ -212, +284 @@

  [2012/10/10 21:22] dch: ok, shall we move along?
  [2012/10/10 21:22] eckoit: one more thing
  [2012/10/10 21:22] noe: dch: the bot will format all of this!
- [2012/10/10 21:23] dch changed the topic to meeting - doc versions
+ [2012/10/10 21:23]dch changed the topic tomeeting - doc versions
  [2012/10/10 21:23] dch: eckoit: shoot
  [2012/10/10 21:23] noe: can someone sumarise the issues here?
- [2012/10/10 21:23] dch changed the topic to meeting - futon2
+ [2012/10/10 21:23]dch changed the topic tomeeting - futon2
  [2012/10/10 21:23] noe: #topic doc versions
  [2012/10/10 21:23] noe: #topic futon2
  [2012/10/10 21:23] eckoit: I did a lot of work with pouch db to get get tracis tests going
@@ -227, +299 @@

  [2012/10/10 21:24] eckoit: kind of a cross topic between futon3 and testing, ok
  [2012/10/10 21:24] eckoit: seperate item
  [2012/10/10 21:24] eckoit: (futon2) :)
- [2012/10/10 21:24] ASFBot: 3jan@apache.org  origin/master * ca88701 (2 files) https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=commit;h=ca88701
:
+ [2012/10/10 21:24] ASFBot: 3jan@apache.org origin/master * ca88701 (2 files) https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=commit;h=ca88701
:
  [2012/10/10 21:24] ASFBot: >> fix typo, closes pr #29
  [2012/10/10 21:24] tilgovi: can we get pouch into futon2 :)
- [2012/10/10 21:24] dch changed the topic to meeting - doc versions
+ [2012/10/10 21:24]dch changed the topic tomeeting - doc versions
  [2012/10/10 21:25] noe: #topic doc versions
  [2012/10/10 21:25] dch: tilgovi: lets add that as an other topic aight?
  [2012/10/10 21:25] tilgovi: yep
@@ -281, +353 @@

  [2012/10/10 21:32] dch: tilgovi: yeah, people are working on that atm
  [2012/10/10 21:32] tilgovi: oustanding
  [2012/10/10 21:32] dch: #action dch to note who's working on what wrt to doc features/changes
- [2012/10/10 21:33] dch changed the topic to meeting - couchapp format
+ [2012/10/10 21:33]dch changed the topic tomeeting - couchapp format
  [2012/10/10 21:33] dch: #topic couchapp format
  [2012/10/10 21:34] dch: eckoit: you're up
  [2012/10/10 21:34] noe: i think we should punt this until post-1.3 maybe?
  [2012/10/10 21:34] eckoit: ok this is from the heated ml discussion
  [2012/10/10 21:35] eckoit: I just wanted to back up and say we need to serve two masters
with this those just doing views, lists, etc and those doing couchapps
  [2012/10/10 21:35] eckoit: and I think they have different needs
- [2012/10/10 21:35] hitchcock.freenode.net sets mode +o ChanServ
+ [2012/10/10 21:35]hitchcock.freenode.net sets mode+o ChanServ
- [2012/10/10 21:35] dch: summarising, there are 2 main formats used, and a host of others.
kanso/couchapp.node.js === single file per ddoc, couchapp === directory hierarchy.
+ [2012/10/10 21:35] dch: summarising, there are 2 main formats used, and a host of others.
kanso/couchapp.node.js == single file per ddoc, couchapp == directory hierarchy.
  [2012/10/10 21:36] eckoit: well we have to start with the traditional couchapp I think
  [2012/10/10 21:36] dch: I think bumping this post 1.3.0 will not harm anybody. But we did
agree in the summit to go ahead with <something>.
  [2012/10/10 21:36] noe: right
@@ -392, +464 @@

  [2012/10/10 21:46] Wohali: tilgovi: the debian package maintainer agreed to support us "promptly"
  [2012/10/10 21:46] tilgovi: :-[ sorry.
  [2012/10/10 21:46] noe: dch: can yo update the topic?
- [2012/10/10 21:46] dch changed the topic to meeting - cors
+ [2012/10/10 21:46]dch changed the topic tomeeting - cors
  [2012/10/10 21:46] dch: CORS
  [2012/10/10 21:47] noe: #topic cors
  [2012/10/10 21:47] dch: CORS CORS CORS CORS CORS CORS CORS CORS CORS CORS
@@ -415, +487 @@

  [2012/10/10 21:48] benoitc: just some coffee
  [2012/10/10 21:48] noe: hehe
  [2012/10/10 21:48] noe: do we need to discuss the tests or can we move on?
- [2012/10/10 21:49] dch changed the topic to meeting - meeting time/day
+ [2012/10/10 21:49]dch changed the topic tomeeting - meeting time/day
  [2012/10/10 21:49] benoitc: dch: tests are written in erlang ,i'm faking the request
  [2012/10/10 21:49] dch: #topic meeting time/day
  [2012/10/10 21:49] noe: i like wednesdays
@@ -446, +518 @@

  [2012/10/10 21:51] dch: moving along...
  [2012/10/10 21:51] noe: kocolosk: heh
  [2012/10/10 21:51] benoitc: jan____: dale based it on mine, i took some of its change
- [2012/10/10 21:51] dch changed the topic to meeting -  1.3.0 prios
+ [2012/10/10 21:51]dch changed the topic tomeeting -  1.3.0 prios
  [2012/10/10 21:51] benoitc: main change though is that it is acting like a middle ware
  [2012/10/10 21:51] noe: # 1.3.0 prios
  [2012/10/10 21:51] noe: #topic 1.3.0 prios
@@ -525, +597 @@

  [2012/10/10 21:58] noe: dch: "target versions" should be set to 1.3 or something post-1.3,
depending
  [2012/10/10 21:58] dch: we had topic "bundle erica" but I think consensus was to bump that
post 1.3. next is: test suite,
  [2012/10/10 21:59] noe: i think so too
- [2012/10/10 21:59] dch changed the topic to meeting -  test suite
+ [2012/10/10 21:59]dch changed the topic tomeeting -  test suite
  [2012/10/10 21:59] dch: #topic test suite,
  [2012/10/10 21:59] dch: #topic test suite,
  [2012/10/10 21:59] dch: #topic test suite
@@ -560, +632 @@

  [2012/10/10 22:05] kocolosk: yep
  [2012/10/10 22:05] noe: are you gonna #action that?
  [2012/10/10 22:05] benoitc: not sure i will have time until the end of the months for tests
- [2012/10/10 22:05] dch changed the topic to meeting -  pouch into futon
+ [2012/10/10 22:05]dch changed the topic tomeeting -  pouch into futon
  [2012/10/10 22:05] benoitc: for now working on extracting rcouch patches
  [2012/10/10 22:05] dch: benoitc: not a problem then. Adam can start, let it settle for a
bit.
  [2012/10/10 22:05] dch: #topic pouch into futon
@@ -590, +662 @@

  [2012/10/10 22:08] dch: How ready are we (as a project, and as a community) to provide an
apache-quality browser equivalent?
  [2012/10/10 22:08] dch: #rhetorical
  [2012/10/10 22:08] noe: okay
- [2012/10/10 22:09] dch changed the topic to meeting -  merge all the forks
+ [2012/10/10 22:09]dch changed the topic tomeeting -  merge all the forks
  [2012/10/10 22:09] dch: sweet, last topic, hopefully short.
  [2012/10/10 22:09] dch: #topic merge all the forks
  [2012/10/10 22:09] kocolosk: :)
@@ -610, +682 @@

  [2012/10/10 22:10] noe: benoitc: not had time to look at it. trying to focus my efforts
on docs
  [2012/10/10 22:11] dch: 2 - a general request to do as much of this in the open as possible.
I realise that makes it a lot more work, but there will rarely be such an interesting and
complex merge.
  [2012/10/10 22:11] dch: this is a *huge* opportunity to get some of those rarely discussed
"why does couchdb do this in that way" discussions on the table.
- [2012/10/10 22:12] pstoll|away is now known as pstoll
+ [2012/10/10 22:12] pstoll|away is now known aspstoll
  [2012/10/10 22:12] dch: 3 - how can we help? open ended discussion for sure.
  [2012/10/10 22:12] mainerror: I don't get 3
  [2012/10/10 22:12] dch: benoitc: re (2) it would be great if you can give that some though
vs refuge, but there's no rush to answer it
@@ -667, +739 @@

  [2012/10/10 22:18] kocolosk: that'd be great -- are our distro experts ok with it?
  [2012/10/10 22:19] noe: that'd be me? and...?
  [2012/10/10 22:19] dch: #info refer to https://github.com/seth/rebar-tools for dependency
locking
- [2012/10/10 22:19] kocolosk: it == bundling erlang instead of relying on the erlang debian
package, for example
+ [2012/10/10 22:19] kocolosk: it = bundling erlang instead of relying on the erlang debian
package, for example
  [2012/10/10 22:19] noe: ah. well, debian would not ship it like that for sure
  [2012/10/10 22:19] wendall911: If build system doesn't get redone for 1.3. There is a bunch
of cleanup that should happen. A lot of 0.9 era cruft still there. Was cleaned up considerably,
but could use some attention.
  [2012/10/10 22:19] tilgovi: we can find a way not to do that

Mime
View raw message