corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [NOTICE] corinthia PPMC+committer -= dortef, franz, gbg, ianc, jani, louis, pmkelly
Date Sat, 05 Sep 2015 22:36:23 GMT
On Saturday, September 5, 2015, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> Both Bertrand and I have tried to become involved in this and help avert
> this melt-down. There is clearly quite a lot of back-channel happening that
> is not visible to the Apache mailing lists and I (and apparently Bertrand)
> have been unable to get our sub requests moderated through in time.

To be quite blunt, you have a strange way of getting involved, why totally
ignore the recommendations from the mentors and the development team and
instead try to piece together everything yourself. Did you talk with Dave ?

The reaaignations was sent from each person to private@, the notice is
simple to normal apache conclusion of the resigning, so please do not
accuse the development team of not following rules. It is not illegal for
people to talk together, decisions must be on the ML, and they are.

without telling what happened on private@ i.a.o, I feel you should have
acted when the mentors asked for help, instead of suggesting to reboot the
mentors.

As noted elsewhere, I saw the request from bertrand and he had access
within an hour, I never saw yours (Dennis is also moderator, so he
should/can have seen it), so I do not understand the delay.

> It may be that working with Apache processes is not what the majority of
> the project wanted as part of their project. Apache is definitely not for
> everybody.

This is wrong thinking, I have not heard one of the developers being
unwilling to follow apache rules quite the opposite, please read the ML and
you will see how often e.g. Peter have stated that.

To be very honest the IPMC have had plenty of time to react on the call
from Dave and Me, but decided to react differently. There was a
reason why I resigned as mentor, it was not because I did not want to help
the community, but because the IPMC told me quite clearly how wrong I
was...and just maybe that was the drop that caused the resignations.

Corinthia had a healthy development community, and IPMC decided to ignore
that and support what was seen as a strange interpretor of the apache
rules. Dave told that it would happen and so did I, so you cannot be
surprised.

> I am very sorry to see this happen in this fashion, however. Splits can
> happen amicably and do not require high drama. I will continue to try to
> piece together what the best course of action is over the next few days
> (holiday be damned) and hope that I can get the help of others as well.

> I had very high hopes for this project in apache, both because I believe
in the project and in Apache, but I am not alone in saying, the attitude of
the IPMC is disapointing.

It is fine that you and bertrand goes in to help, but it would have been
great if you had supported the mentors and believed what we as mentors told
IPMC.

Sorry for a strong mail, but seeing a Podling go down the drain for
something that should be logical caused me to respond like this.

Rgds
jan i.