corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Is using Bison & Flex ok?
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2015 14:34:19 GMT
I’m currently doing writing some experimental code for developing & testing a type inference
algorithm that will eventually become of Flat. Because the latter is not at a sufficient stage
of maturity, I’m using Bison & Flex to parse a simple C-like programming language upon
which I’m doing the analysis.

I’d like to include this code in the repository, but wanted to confirm whether this is within
the legal guidelines for dependent software. Bison is GPL, but has a special exception for
the generated code (which contains part of Bison itself):

https://www.gnu.org/software/bison/manual/html_node/Conditions.html

Flex’s license appears to be BSD(-like), which I’m assuming should be ok:

http://flex.sourceforge.net/manual/Copyright.html#Copyright

My use of both of these tools is for experimental purposes only - my intention is for Flat
to eventually subsume both. I do not anticipate that we would include the code that requires
these for building as part of an actual Corinthia release.

Note also that these tools are required at build time only, and do not require extra libraries
to be distributed with the generated code.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org