corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubator-corinthia git commit: 0.07 .gitignore clean-up
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 06:59:10 GMT
Also one other point I forgot to mention about history for releases - this is available from
the git repository for anyone who wants it, by going to the tag/branch for that particular
release.

Many projects include a ChangeLog file in their release with a summary of what’s changed
(though not as detailed as individual files or a complete git log). I think ChangeLog files
make sense on a per-release basis, then people can use that as a guide if they want to go
into the git log and see all the details.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

> On 10 Aug 2015, at 1:55 pm, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10 Aug 2015, at 11:51 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> I do that because source tarballs of release code don't have history.  Just a historical
habit.

>> Also, when I crib a file to a different project, likewise.
>>
>> Does it bother you so much that you don't want to see that kind of thing from me?
>
> It’s not a major problem if it’s only a few config files here and there like .gitignore.
But I would not want to see it in source files. Looking at the git log, we have a very extensive
history of changes, and including the commit messages (or even summaries) in every file would
make them considerably larger. It also complicates merging.

> My preference is that we use git in the way it’s designed to be used, instead of a
roll-your-own log system in individual files (esp. when many changes span multiple files).
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else do this in a project which already uses a version
control system.