corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Ian C <...@amham.net>
Subject Re: ODF Explorer
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2015 03:53:54 GMT
Hi Peter,

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
> Ok I just figured out the cause - it was trying to write a file to the ‘input’ directory
(under the ODFExplorer directory where I had run ‘npm start’) but that directory did not
exist. After I created that, I was able to upload files successfully and have them processed.

great that you got it working. I will need to have that directory
created, I just repeated the issue. Gosh it's annoying to mess up
these little things.

> I love the tree widget you’ve got in the UI for navigating the element coverage - I
don’t think I’ve seen something quite like this before for summarising information. The
closest I can think of is DiskInventoryX for mac which shows how much data is used by various
directories on your hard disk. But the idea of applying it to XML structures is really cool.

Pleased you like the UI. I'm not a UI designer by a long shot, and
just cobble together bits that work. Like dot for the graphs.

> I’m thinking it might be useful for us to have a web app which allows us to view the
structure of individual documents like this, for inspection purposes. Once I’ve gotten Flat
(my parser engine) into a state where it can output XML this should be doable, and would also
help visualise the tree structure of files in non-XML formats, like Markdown.

Absolutely, having bashed the thing into life for this ODF case I want
to try to make it more general.

> The use of a web UI based on node/angular is a good idea, as it’s a nice way of getting
a UI that works in a cross platform manner, and can also be deployed on a server. This also
strikes me as being relevant for the Corinthia web app. My personal preference is for Python
on the server side, but only because that’s what I use in my day job - node is good also
and ultimately either choice is fine and mainly depends on whoever’s implement it.

> Regarding the graphs where you’ve used dot, I suggest having a look at some of the
graph-based visualisations that d3 provides (I see you’re using d3 for some stuff already,
but the XPath graph is in dot). I saw some force directed layout visualisations a colleague
of mine did for a project we’re working on - I’ll have to check what he was using for
that.

I did look at using d3 (which is a great tool) but couldn't quite get
it to do what I wanted. And redrawing to filter the graphs and
managing it in Javascript was all to hard. I reprocess the underlying
JSON and regenerate the dot and have GraphViz regenerate the diagram.

> All up, looks good so far. I’m keen to see the code for the Java side of things when
you’re ready to make that open source. I think it could help a lot with our test cases,
not just ODF but OOXML, depending on how easy it is to extend. Does the code cater for (or
is it adaptable to) specifying alternative schemas to check against?

Yeah, I'm getting there. And am trying to make it digestible to the
open source world and remove all the dirty laundry that it in there
:-)

The tool uses classed generated via Apache Velocity and the Multi
Scheme Validation https://msv.java.net/ to get the schema into a from
I can generate classes from.
Which is the basis for how the ODF Toolkit generates its DOM classes.

I always intended to do the same for OOXML, but have not been able to
get around to it.

> —
> Dr Peter M. Kelly
> pmkelly@apache.org

>> On 29 Aug 2015, at 11:58 pm, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Ian
>>
>> I’ve just downloaded & built this and ran into a problem when uploading a document.
After selecting a .odt file and pressing “submit”, the node server exited; here’s the
output I saw:

--
Cheers,

Ian C