corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Ian C <...@amham.net>
Subject Re: ODF Explorer
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2015 08:14:28 GMT
On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 12:04 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> Your tool and the compliments it is receiving are interesting.
>
> Including poi and Yegor. What do people  think?

Thanks the more the merrier.
But at the moment the tool only processes ODF documents. Extending to
OOXML is a future goal.

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 29, 2015, at 8:53 PM, Ian C <ian@amham.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>

>>> On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Ok I just figured out the cause - it was trying to write a file to the ‘input’
directory (under the ODFExplorer directory where I had run ‘npm start’) but that
directory did not exist. After I created that, I was able to upload files successfully and
have them processed.

>> great that you got it working. I will need to have that directory
>> created, I just repeated the issue. Gosh it's annoying to mess up
>> these little things.
>>
>>> I love the tree widget you’ve got in the UI for navigating the element
coverage - I don’t think I’ve seen something quite like this before for summarising
information. The closest I can think of is DiskInventoryX for mac which shows how much data
is used by various directories on your hard disk. But the idea of applying it to XML structures
is really cool.

>> Pleased you like the UI. I'm not a UI designer by a long shot, and
>> just cobble together bits that work. Like dot for the graphs.
>>
>>> I’m thinking it might be useful for us to have a web app which allows
us to view the structure of individual documents like this, for inspection purposes. Once
I’ve gotten Flat (my parser engine) into a state where it can output XML this should
be doable, and would also help visualise the tree structure of files in non-XML formats, like
Markdown.

>> Absolutely, having bashed the thing into life for this ODF case I want
>> to try to make it more general.
>>

>>> The use of a web UI based on node/angular is a good idea, as it’s a nice
way of getting a UI that works in a cross platform manner, and can also be deployed on a server.
This also strikes me as being relevant for the Corinthia web app. My personal preference is
for Python on the server side, but only because that’s what I use in my day job - node
is good also and ultimately either choice is fine and mainly depends on whoeverâHi Peter,

>>> On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Ok I just figured out the cause - it was trying to write a file to the ‘input’
directory (under the ODFExplorer directory where I had run ‘npm start’) but that
directory did not exist. After I created that, I was able to upload files successfully and
have them processed.

>> great that you got it working. I will need to have that directory
>> created, I just repeated the issue. Gosh it's annoying to mess up
>> these little things.
>>
>>> I love the tree widget you’ve got in the UI for navigating the element
coverage - I don’t think I’ve seen something quite like this before for summarising
information. The closest I can think of is DiskInventoryX for mac which shows how much data
is used by various directories on your hard disk. But the idea of applying it to XML structures
is really cool.

>> Pleased you like the UI. I'm not a UI designer by a long shot, and
>> just cobble together bits that work. Like dot for the graphs.
>>
>>> I’m thinking it might be useful for us to have a web app which allows
us to view the structure of individual documents like this, for inspection purposes. Once
I’ve gotten Flat (my parser engine) into a state where it can output XML this should
be doable, and would also help visualise the tree structure of files in non-XML formats, like
Markdown.

>> Absolutely, having bashed the thing into life for this ODF case I want
>> to try to make it more general.
>>

>>> The use of a web UI based on node/angular is a good idea, as it’s a nice
way of getting a UI that works in a cross platform manner, and can also be deployed on a server.
This also strikes me as being relevant for the Corinthia web app. My personal preference is
for Python on the server side, but only because that’s what I use in my day job - node
is good also and ultimately either choice is fine and mainly depends on whoever’s implement
it.

>>> Regarding the graphs where you’ve used dot, I suggest having a look at
some of the graph-based visualisations that d3 provides (I see you’re using d3 for
some stuff already, but the XPath graph is in dot). I saw some force directed layout visualisations
a colleague of mine did for a project we’re working on - I’ll have to check
what he was using for that.

>> I did look at using d3 (which is a great tool) but couldn't quite get
>> it to do what I wanted. And redrawing to filter the graphs and
>> managing it in Javascript was all to hard. I reprocess the underlying
>> JSON and regenerate the dot and have GraphViz regenerate the diagram.
>>

>>> All up, looks good so far. I’m keen to see the code for the Java side
of things when you’re ready to make that open source. I think it could help a lot with
our test cases, not just ODF but OOXML, depending on how easy it is to extend. Does the code
cater for (or is it adaptable to) specifying alternative schemas to check against?

>> Yeah, I'm getting there. And am trying to make it digestible to the
>> open source world and remove all the dirty laundry that it in there
>> :-)
>>
>> The tool uses classed generated via Apache Velocity and the Multi
>> Scheme Validation https://msv.java.net/ to get the schema into a from
>> I can generate classes from.
>> Which is the basis for how the ODF Toolkit generates its DOM classes.
>>
>> I always intended to do the same for OOXML, but have not been able to
>> get around to it.
>>

>>> —
>>> Dr Peter M. Kelly
>>> pmkelly@apache.org
>>>
>>> PGP key: http://www.kellypmk.net/pgp-key <http://www.kellypmk.net/pgp-key>
>>> (fingerprint 5435 6718 59F0 DD1F BFA0 5E46 2523 BAA1 44AE 2966)

uploading a document. After selecting a .odt file and pressing “submit†, the node
server exited; here’s the output I saw:

--
Cheers,

Ian C