corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <>
Subject Re: Is using Bison & Flex ok?
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2015 14:54:43 GMT
On Monday, August 17, 2015, Peter Kelly <> wrote:

> I’m currently doing writing some experimental code for developing &
> testing a type inference algorithm that will eventually become of Flat.
> Because the latter is not at a sufficient stage of maturity, I’m using
> Bison & Flex to parse a simple C-like programming language upon which I’m
> doing the analysis.
> I’d like to include this code in the repository, but wanted to confirm
> whether this is within the legal guidelines for dependent software. Bison
> is GPL, but has a special exception for the generated code (which contains
> part of Bison itself):
> Flex’s license appears to be BSD(-like), which I’m assuming should be ok:
> My use of both of these tools is for experimental purposes only - my
> intention is for Flat to eventually subsume both. I do not anticipate that
> we would include the code that requires these for building as part of an
> actual Corinthia release.
> Tools are not a concern for. a release, the source files are, having read
the 2 copy rigths I do not see a problem to include the files.

To avoid a tedious discussion with Dennis just do it, without putting
attention on it.

Later when it comes to release time we might need to dig deeper into the
bison license. For now it is close enough that I can truthfully say I do
not see a problem.

jan i