corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Zip madness !
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:33:27 GMT
Hi

Does anybody know why zip has a mad inefficient directory structure ?

I try to understand the why, but fail.

A zip file, contains 1 global directory with information about every single
file (flat structure, no
sub directories, but filenames may contain a "/"). That is logical and
expected.

BUT in front of every file, there are a local file header, with filename
about 3/4 of the information
from the global directory. This information seems pure redundant and
unneeded.

What am I missing here ? on one of my test docx, the local headers are
about 10% of the filesize (looong filenames) which could be thrown away.

Hope somebody can see what I failed to see.
rgds
jan i.