corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <>
Subject Corinthia, suggested board report
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2015 12:21:27 GMT
Hi all

Time again to tell IPMC and the apache Board how we are doing.

Below you will find my proposal, I have been quite direct
in respect to our problems. The report is a combined work
of the whole PPMC, so I look forward to your comments (also
a simple "I agree" in case that is the fact).

In case anything happens before September 2th I will update the report
(in mail), and September 2th, I will add it to the wiki.

Remark, there will shortly be a mail on private@ with the content of
the private section.

For all PPMC please remember to see private@

jan i.

Corinthia is a toolkit/application for converting between and editing common
office file formats, with an initial focus on word processing. It is
to cater for multiple classes of platforms - desktop, web, and mobile - and
relies heavily on web technologies such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for
representing and manipulating documents. The toolkit is small, portable, and
flexible, with minimal dependencies. The target audience is developers
to include office viewing, conversion, and editing functionality into their

Corinthia has been incubating since 2014-12-08.

  1. Solve the community crisis and avoid a break
  2. Discuss and decide on a medium-term roadmap
  3. Get the new developers more integrated in the community

aware of?

The community needs immediate help from the IPMC. One person is
causing a major break in the community by pushing his own interpretation
of apache rules to effectively causing roadblocks in development, delays in
inviting new committers and releases, without constructive problems on how
to fix problems raised. Several core developers have publicly stated that
want to develop code for the public good and build a strong community, but
also that they are frustrated with being repeatedly told why things they
to do (which are within ASF rules) are impossible. These developers have
a strong preference to continue within the ASF, but made it clear they will
move outside if the problems can’t be resolved.

The core developers have agreed to put their trust in the IPMC.

<private>Content is sent to private@i.a.o to be included</private>

  We are proud that we have managed to make our first release.

  We have a PPMC/committer invitation outstanding.

  As noted on "issues" we have a severe community problem, which
  if not solved probably will cause the community to break and further
  development to stop.

How has the project developed sincs noe the last report?

  Added support for 32/64bit windows.

  Made the setup of a build environment a lot easier, a PPMC provide all
  third party libraries prebuilt.

  A long discussion about licenses lead to major difficulties in deciding
  whether and how to proceed with one of the project’s two main
  components, an end-user editing app. As a result this development is
  being redirected.

  Our buildbot setup is slowly taking shape, this is important since it will
  allow a nightly build as well as a nightly test.

Date of last release:

  2015-08-28 Release 0.1

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  2015-04-02 Franz de Copenhague
  2015-06-12 Ian Cunningham

  [ ](corinthia) Daniel Gruno
  [x](corinthia) Jan Iversen