corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release_0.1
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2015 16:57:36 GMT
On 9 August 2015 at 18:50, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 9 Aug 2015, at 11:26 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 9 August 2015 at 18:11, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I notice that files ending in "~" can show up in the repository.  These
> >> are usually local backups of files that have been edited and should not
> be
> >> in the repository.
> >>
> > That is correct, I spent time removing them in the source zip.
>
> That doesn’t sound like a fun...

well to be honest, I was not thinking. After having removed some, I simply
did "git clone" in a new directory, a lot easier

> >> I also notice that the .gitignore does not eliminate other artifacts
> that
> >> are not needed in the repository.  I have updated the .gitignore (on
> >> master, at least) to ignore more cases of artifacts that may arise in
> >> editing and building but that are not part of the repository or released
> >> code.  Some of this may simply be valuable as documentation for what we
> >> keep out of the repository in direct form.
> >>
> > I tend to disagree here. When I edit I also do the cleanup, if we add too
> > much to .gitignore it just becomes more complex to isolate the actual
> > source.
> >
> > I will not veto that it is being done, but just state that I am not happy
> > with it.
>
> I think we should have a few more standard entries in there, including
> files ending in ~, given that these tend to show up a lot. There was
> actually a number of entries in .gitignore that got removed somewhere along
> the way which I only noticed recently. I added the notorious .DS_Store
> files which OS X loves to spray everywhere.

No problem with me....but I do have a big problem adding msc files, because
that is a real error, and should never happen. I am also strongly against
adding directories like "externals".

I have f.x.
build.win32
build.win64
build.ubuntu
build.xcode

Should I also add those to .gitignore and bother everyone else.

just my 2ct
rgds
jan i.