corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release_0.1
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2015 18:00:39 GMT
On 9 August 2015 at 19:42, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
wrote:

> The exclusion of build-tool artifacts is more a safeguard against
> developers doing IDE editing and testing in the tree in inappropriate
> places, just like the "~" case but more serious.

a lot more serious....e.g. a .sln file can only be there if you ask cmake
to generate it.

> I eliminated those likely suspects because GitHub has found it important.
> I included it in .gitignore as a precautionary reminder.  I did not bring
> back in all other cases.  But I know Visual Studio builds are sort of
> encouraged for Windows.
>
> I am not attached to doing that.  It does strike me as harmless though.

I feel strongly about it, because you supress a signal that the system is
being build wrongly.
Visual studio uses the sln directory (and subdirs) for all its files (with
our current cmake), so it is a real error if we see them elsewhere,
something the developer should see and not be silently ignored.

 I read peter as also being against having them in .gitignore, so if you
are not attached to it, please revert that part (together with iconv.txt).

rgds
jan i.