corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubator-corinthia git commit: 0.07 .gitignore clean-up
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 07:12:20 GMT
On Monday, August 10, 2015, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:

> Also one other point I forgot to mention about history for releases - this
> is available from the git repository for anyone who wants it, by going to
> the tag/branch for that particular release.
>
> Many projects include a ChangeLog file in their release with a summary of
> what’s changed (though not as detailed as individual files or a complete
> git log). I think ChangeLog files make sense on a per-release basis, then
> people can use that as a guide if they want to go into the git log and see
> all the details.

+1 a ChangeLog file as a simple git log extract makes sense.

> —
> Dr Peter M. Kelly
> pmkelly@apache.org <javascript:;>

> > On 10 Aug 2015, at 1:55 pm, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> >> On 10 Aug 2015, at 11:51 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <
> dennis.hamilton@acm.org <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >>
> >> I do that because source tarballs of release code don't have history.
> Just a historical habit.
> >>
> >> Also, when I crib a file to a different project, likewise.
> >>
> >> Does it bother you so much that you don't want to see that kind of
> thing from me?
> >
> > It’s not a major problem if it’s only a few config files here and there
> like .gitignore. But I would not want to see it in source files. Looking at
> the git log, we have a very extensive history of changes, and including the
> commit messages (or even summaries) in every file would make them
> considerably larger. It also complicates merging.

I agree with you it would blow up the source for no reason, good argument.

> > My preference is that we use git in the way it’s designed to be used,
> instead of a roll-your-own log system in individual files (esp. when many
> changes span multiple files). I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else do
> this in a project which already uses a version control system.

+1 it is mandatory that we keep the info in the version control system, the
other can only be extra.

I have seen a couple of projects that (somehow) get the git message
automatically inserted in the source, not something I like.

rgds
jan i