corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release_0.1
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2015 16:58:38 GMT
> On 9 Aug 2015, at 11:50 pm, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> I also notice that the .gitignore does not eliminate other artifacts that
>>> are not needed in the repository.  I have updated the .gitignore (on
>>> master, at least) to ignore more cases of artifacts that may arise in
>>> editing and building but that are not part of the repository or released
>>> code.  Some of this may simply be valuable as documentation for what we
>>> keep out of the repository in direct form.
>>>
>> I tend to disagree here. When I edit I also do the cleanup, if we add too
>> much to .gitignore it just becomes more complex to isolate the actual
>> source.
>>
>> I will not veto that it is being done, but just state that I am not happy
>> with it.
>
> I think we should have a few more standard entries in there, including files ending in
~, given that these tend to show up a lot. There was actually a number of entries in .gitignore
that got removed somewhere along the way which I only noticed recently. I added the notorious
.DS_Store files which OS X loves to spray everywhere.

Actually I’ve just had a look at the latest .gitignore and I think some of the entries do
not belong there. Things like .DS_Store and *~ which would reasonably exist in the source
tree are fine in my opinion, but for example *.sln, *.vcxproject etc are not, since they are
supposed to be inside other directories. On my setup I have a “build” (for OS X) and “winbuild”
(for Windows) directories (on my Linux VM I use a separate dir); these just show up as “untracked
files” which do not cause problems.

Visual studio files, XCode project files, Makefiles etc. are not supposed to go in any source
directories other than a custom “build” (or similarly-named) directory if you want (you
can also do it outside of the tree).

As Jan mentioned, external is dead now as we’re using a pre-built zip file of all the libraries.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org