corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODF Explorer
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:16:47 GMT
Ok I just figured out the cause - it was trying to write a file to the ‘input’ directory
(under the ODFExplorer directory where I had run ‘npm start’) but that directory did not
exist. After I created that, I was able to upload files successfully and have them processed.

I love the tree widget you’ve got in the UI for navigating the element coverage - I don’t
think I’ve seen something quite like this before for summarising information. The closest
I can think of is DiskInventoryX for mac which shows how much data is used by various directories
on your hard disk. But the idea of applying it to XML structures is really cool.

I’m thinking it might be useful for us to have a web app which allows us to view the structure
of individual documents like this, for inspection purposes. Once I’ve gotten Flat (my parser
engine) into a state where it can output XML this should be doable, and would also help visualise
the tree structure of files in non-XML formats, like Markdown.

The use of a web UI based on node/angular is a good idea, as it’s a nice way of getting
a UI that works in a cross platform manner, and can also be deployed on a server. This also
strikes me as being relevant for the Corinthia web app. My personal preference is for Python
on the server side, but only because that’s what I use in my day job - node is good also
and ultimately either choice is fine and mainly depends on whoever’s implement it.

Regarding the graphs where you’ve used dot, I suggest having a look at some of the graph-based
visualisations that d3 provides (I see you’re using d3 for some stuff already, but the XPath
graph is in dot). I saw some force directed layout visualisations a colleague of mine did
for a project we’re working on - I’ll have to check what he was using for that.

All up, looks good so far. I’m keen to see the code for the Java side of things when you’re
ready to make that open source. I think it could help a lot with our test cases, not just
ODF but OOXML, depending on how easy it is to extend. Does the code cater for (or is it adaptable
to) specifying alternative schemas to check against?

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

> On 29 Aug 2015, at 11:58 pm, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks Ian
>
> I’ve just downloaded & built this and ran into a problem when uploading a document.
After selecting a .odt file and pressing “submit”, the node server exited; here’s the
output I saw: