corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [STATUS] Corinthia Home for ODF Interoperability Assessment
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2015 21:43:13 GMT
Hi Dennis,

I am only somewhat surprised that you don't mention Apache OpenOffice in this context. To
me the biggest problem with that project was in not working on predictable one to one conversion
between ODF and OOXML. Without that then OpenOffice will have trouble entering the institutional
market. Or, Munich.

Best of luck. Your knowledge in this area is very deep and you have much to contribute wherever
you choose.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 2:23 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> I was asked recently what the status of this work is now.
>
> As I may have remarked often enough already, what appealed to me about Corinthia was
the project scope item on determining the degree to which ODF, OOXML, and perhaps other formats,
are supported in various implementations.  The ability to assess interoperable use of these
formats with concrete assessment methods appeals to me.  I thought it was great that Corinthia
would feature it.

> My starting from the top and working down approach to this has been sketched at
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/ODF>, especially under the
topic "ODF Conformance/Compliance Assurance."

> I have been working on this off-project in order to determine the scope of the material.
 My current estimate is that there will be extensive tests and the volume will exceed what
Peter saw as appropriate when I asked for advice about this.

> My conclusion is that this effort does not fit what the intention for the scope item
of Corinthia.  Instead, I will develop it outside of any specific implementation project (although
it should be useful to any of them).

> My original plan was to have enough prepared in 12 months to have enough where others
could use it and also contribute more to it.  That was assuming a start in March when a technical
paper of mine became available.  I moved the start to June, here, and now the best I can hope
for is 12 months from now.  Other activities and life have intervened.  However, this is my
key personal project for this time period, so it will be late Summer 2016 before I expect
there to be enough to be chewed on.

> It will be available to Corinthia the same as any other project using ODF.  It will not
be developed as part of Corinthia.

> - Dennis

see what works best as a home for the full development.