corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to make a branch RO ?
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2015 10:27:46 GMT
> On 29 Aug 2015, at 4:35 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Now that our release is out, I would like to prevent any changes to the
> branch release_0.1, how can that be done ?
>
> Or should we delete the branch (I am reluctant to do so) since we have the
> source zip file ?

There’s no way to do this in git itself. Usually for fixed points like releases you would
use a tag (and after you’ve tagged it, you can delete the branch). A tag is something that
cannot normally be changed.

While tagging should do the job, it’s still typically possible to delete or change tags.
If you want to be absolutely certain this won’t happen (and it could only be done very deliberately,
by a committer), infra would need to implement something on the server side which causes it
to reject deletions/changes to tags. They already have a similar restriction on doing a force
push on the master branch. So it’s a question of the server config that only infra can answer/enforce.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org