corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Corinthia: ASF or GitHub?
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2015 18:00:13 GMT

> On 24 Aug 15, at 04:20, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Thoughts?

I love policy and am a policywonk I love bureaucracy and love all the great things—no irony—it’s
done and doing. Also I love being really cautious about any set of rules, especially when
the application of those rules seems to be more in behalf of the rule than for the desired
outcome the rule is meant to promote. And I’ve always felt that with small groups working
more or less well one does not want to introduce rules whose application would, in different
circumstances, be more reasonable and in compliance with policy. In the case of a small project
like Corinthia, the insistence of a protocol whose application would cost a tedious retread
and risk losing the not just developer enthusiasm but, developers comes across as an assertion
of power. And it’s irritating, to say the least.

People, let’s cool it. That goes to everyone.

I’ve been in situations like this before; we all have. In open source projects, one learns
to live with what works, even when that goes counter to policy, and to catch what can be caught,
and if that’s not feasible, then to urge a "next time let’s be better" approach. Everyone
knows it’s hard to work together and that when it happens, it’s fragile, especially for
startup projects, like ours. And, again, Corinthia is small. Really small. It will stay that
way—and maybe even shrink—if it seems a place of rigid bureaucracy and hostility.

So: let’s cool it and move ahead.

And, please, all, let’s try to keep communications public and open and inviting. I pushed
for Corinthia because I see a huge opportunity for a flexible and advanced productivity tool
that is not hobbled by proprietary code or standards and that can run on the devices people
use, whatever they be. No other project aspires to do as much and none has as much force behind
it. But none of that will matter if we mute ourselves and there is something like Corinthia
that pretends to be open but is at heart shrink-wrapped and flows freely like beer to consumers,
if not community.

louis