corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <>
Subject Re: ODF Editor and other stuff
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:48:49 GMT
> On 31 Aug 2015, at 6:41 pm, Peter Kelly <> wrote:
>> On 31 Aug 2015, at 6:29 pm, Ian C <> wrote:
>> <>
By the way, for those if you interested in or already working on the editor - WebODF is an
interesting project worth having a look at. They’ve taken an approach which is quite different
in some ways to our existing editing code, but with other similarities.

Both work directly in a web browser (or web view embedded in a native app). Whereas we work
natively with HTML5 for editing, WebODF loads the content.xml file and injects it directly
into the DOM, using CSS to control the appearance of elements that the browser does not otherwise
know anything about. If you open the web inspector in Safari (or equivalent in other browsers)
you can view the DOM and see ODF elements in the tree. The editing code works by manipulating
the DOM in terms of ODF, not HTML5.

There are quite a few other differences in terms of how they deal with operations - I believe
at the time I looked at the code and discussed it with the developers they were working on
some real-time collaboration features, and as such I recall the operations being defined in
a more abstract manner applicable for reuse to what we have.

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>