corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is Qt the right choice ??
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 03:53:25 GMT
> On 4 Aug 2015, at 11:46 pm, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> The actual construction of a functioning editor that might be available in a source release
and also a convenience binary for one or more platforms is a bit down the road.  I understand
that.

> Nevertheless, I am concerned that this podling is playing with fire and tempting unfortunate
consequences.

> I just want to give fair warning that even an "example" having only unapproved dependencies
may be frowned upon if one cannot build a fully functioning version from the release without
such a dependency.  Satisfying that condition would be a great example and also in the spirit
and letter of ASF requirements for software provided by its projects.

> The NULL case that I have seen described does not qualify as fully-functioning, in my
opinion.  I look forward to further details in that approach so one can explore providing
a reference version having full functionality the substitutability of dependencies, including
optional use of Qt.

As part of the abstraction layer I am developing, my intention is to make a Cocoa backend
(Apple’s API for building native OS X apps), as well as a Qt backend. Thus we will have
at least one platform on which it is possible to build a fully-functioning version of the
editor, and thus we can include it as a core component of a Corinthia distribution.

The Qt backend will be optional in the sense that someone can choose not to use it, if they
prefer to instead write their own abstraction layer for whatever platform they are targeting.

Contributions in the form of code to help support more platforms without Qt will be very welcome.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org