corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is using Bison & Flex ok?
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2015 00:30:18 GMT
> On 18 Aug 2015, at 12:19 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> I looked around a bit more, and inclusion of the generated file might be a problem in
the sense that it is not modifiable except under the GPL, if I understand the explanation
at

> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_bison> and the illustration of what a generated
file is like at <http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bison.git/tree/src/parse-gram.c>.

Not that this is relevant (since I do not intend on making it release code; it’s experimental
only) but the intention of the exception at https://www.gnu.org/software/bison/manual/html_node/Conditions.html
reads to me as though they it’s fine to include generated code in any product (including
commercial), regardless of license.

It’s my opinion though that, like you, i feel it’s best to include the source grammar.y
and lexer.l in the tree, since this is the only representation that is meaningfully usable
by a developer. For experimental code, I don’t see a need for the generated output to be
in the repository. For a release perhaps, though even then I’d argue for requiring bison
& flex to be installed for a build.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org