corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <>
Subject Re: [1/2] incubator-corinthia git commit: Logging feature update
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 06:03:33 GMT
> On 27 Aug 2015, at 6:51 pm, jan i <> wrote:
> Hi.
> I think there is a general misunderstand somewhere. You are designing a log
> system, that would be good to have
> in a server side application, but we are just a little application and only
> need a simple logger.

Gabriela: I’d say a better way to think about this exercise is as a debugging system, not
a logging system. As Jan suggested, a logging system is a appropriate for a server-side app,
but I don’t see this code being useful for anyone other than developers. Where I’d envisage
using it myself is if I’m having trouble figuring out why a conversion is failing, and I
want to look at what is happening in the code. I want to see any warnings that come up (an
example would be “cannot find bookmark with id foo in bookmarks.xml”) and that would help
indicate what is causing problems with a conversion.

For this reason, I also don’t see a need to include the hostname or username in the log.
Timing information can still be useful though, for identifying performance problems (e.g.
answering why did it take 300ms to free this object?).

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>