corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <>
Subject Re: Build instructions, what to do with suggestions ?
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2015 11:28:06 GMT
jan i wrote:
> Is fedora the same as centOS t, I remember a discussion in AOO, where I
> think andrea explained the connection but I cannot find it.

They are quite different on the server side. They are all under the Red
Hat umbrella (3 distributions: Fedora, Red Hat Linux, CentOS).

Fedora has more frequent updates (2 per year) and newer software, Red
Hat Linux has a much more stable cycle (say, one in 3-4 years), CentOS
can be seen as a free (as in money) clone of Red Hat Linux; but now
CentOS was bought by Red Hat (in this sense the link posted by Ian is
outdated) and I don't know what their plans are.

In short, a Fedora buildbot will probably need to be reconfigured twice
a year, a CentOS buildbot may receive software/security upgrades but not
upgrades that break compatibility, so a CentOS buildbot requires much
less maintenance due to the much slower/stable release cycle (on the
other hand, with Fedora you always get bleeding-edge software).

The machine that I used for some Corinthia testing was a Fedora machine
too. I can't check the version now, but not the latest Fedora version.

View raw message