corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ASF maturity model.
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 11:23:18 GMT
On 09/08/2015 jan i wrote:
> I made a wiki page, with the maturity model
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/The+Apache+Project+Maturity+Model

Many of your findings and questions can probably be solved by defining
what "maturity" means. To me, being "mature" is not a requirement for
graduation, and the discussion on using it as a guideline for exiting
the Incubator does not mean that a podling is expected to pass all
checks, because some of them only make sense for a "mature" project.

A couple examples just to make my opinion clearer:
- Backwards compatibility is a concern for a "mature" project; for sure,
not for a podling that hasn't got to version 0.1 yet.
- Maintaining the PMC list becomes (the Chair is the person who
gives/add privileges) a project's duty after graduation.
- Security and other user-facing concerns apply to a project that has a
stable users base; I consider this to be a sign that a project is
"mature", but I don't see it as a requirement for graduation.

Also, remember that the maturity model is not of super-human origin: it
was written by a Board member as soon as last year. It can be changed as
needed. It can be customized for podlings if some items do not make
sense for podlings; but I don't see it as a "must have" requirement for
a podling to graduate. (That said, my vote on these matters is not
binding, so this is just an opinion).

Regards,
   Andrea.