corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Corinthia: ASF or GitHub?
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2015 01:02:08 GMT
I have to agree with Louis here.

The community has clearly expressed wanting to work on code and have fun.

The community is also willing to do the right things to follow Apache policy in a reasonable
way that is looser than some projects but likely stricter than others.

Let's also be sure to acknowledge that English is a hard language that is not universally
the same.

I think this group is a very unique set of people with a lot to give and the willingness to
do so. I am sure my quirks annoy at times only being human.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 11:00 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 24 Aug 15, at 04:20, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I love policy and am a policywonk I love bureaucracy and love all the great things—no
irony—it’s done and doing. Also I love being really cautious about any set of rules, especially
when the application of those rules seems to be more in behalf of the rule than for the desired
outcome the rule is meant to promote. And I’ve always felt that with small groups working
more or less well one does not want to introduce rules whose application would, in different
circumstances, be more reasonable and in compliance with policy. In the case of a small project
like Corinthia, the insistence of a protocol whose application would cost a tedious retread
and risk losing the not just developer enthusiasm but, developers comes across as an assertion
of power. And it’s irritating, to say the least.

> People, let’s cool it. That goes to everyone.
>
> I’ve been in situations like this before; we all have. In open source projects, one
learns to live with what works, even when that goes counter to policy, and to catch what can
be caught, and if that’s not feasible, then to urge a "next time let’s be better" approach.
Everyone knows it’s hard to work together and that when it happens, it’s fragile, especially
for startup projects, like ours. And, again, Corinthia is small. Really small. It will stay
that way—and maybe even shrink—if it seems a place of rigid bureaucracy and hostility.

> So: let’s cool it and move ahead.
>
> And, please, all, let’s try to keep communications public and open and inviting. I
pushed for Corinthia because I see a huge opportunity for a flexible and advanced productivity
tool that is not hobbled by proprietary code or standards and that can run on the devices
people use, whatever they be. No other project aspires to do as much and none has as much
force behind it. But none of that will matter if we mute ourselves and there is something
like Corinthia that pretends to be open but is at heart shrink-wrapped and flows freely like
beer to consumers, if not community.