corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: logger for Corinthia
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2015 15:51:38 GMT
Hi Gabriela, this looks like a good start.

A few suggestions come to mind:

- I recommend defining a macro for each of the log levels, each of which invokes LOG_THIS.
Having these separate macros (LOG_ERROR_MSG, LOG_WARNING_MSG, etc) will mean that for production
builds we can conditionally compile such that these macros do nothing, which will result in
faster execution. When debugging, they will be enabled so we can see the messages. For production
build we may want to show only errors, but probably hide warnings, info etc.

- Later on, it might be worth us having macros or log parameters for different modules. For
example when debugging the XML parser or hash table functions, it’ll be best to hide (possibly
verbose and likely irrelevant) log output from other components. Thus for a test, someone
might be converting .docx to .html, but only want to see messages relating to DFHashTable.

- I’d advise against strcat and even strncat, as well as using malloc with the sum of the
length of strings you want to concatenate - this is very easy to get wrong. A simple solution
is to allocate a sufficiently large string (e.g. 1024 characters) and then use snprintf. Alternatively,
DFFormatString will do the necessary work for you of allocating enough memory and constructing
a string with the specified parameters. I realise your code doesn’t currently use DocFormats,
but you could take DFFormatString and copy it into your code, adapting it as necessary.

- Rather than placing the tar file in the repository as a single file, just extract it and
have the individual files commited. This way we can track changes and easily make patches
as we do with the other code, rather than having to continuously update the tar file each
time.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org