corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release_0.1
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2015 16:50:09 GMT
> On 9 Aug 2015, at 11:26 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 9 August 2015 at 18:11, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I notice that files ending in "~" can show up in the repository.  These
>> are usually local backups of files that have been edited and should not be
>> in the repository.
>>
> That is correct, I spent time removing them in the source zip.

That doesn’t sound like a fun...

>> I also notice that the .gitignore does not eliminate other artifacts that
>> are not needed in the repository.  I have updated the .gitignore (on
>> master, at least) to ignore more cases of artifacts that may arise in
>> editing and building but that are not part of the repository or released
>> code.  Some of this may simply be valuable as documentation for what we
>> keep out of the repository in direct form.
>>
> I tend to disagree here. When I edit I also do the cleanup, if we add too
> much to .gitignore it just becomes more complex to isolate the actual
> source.
>
> I will not veto that it is being done, but just state that I am not happy
> with it.

I think we should have a few more standard entries in there, including files ending in ~,
given that these tend to show up a lot. There was actually a number of entries in .gitignore
that got removed somewhere along the way which I only noticed recently. I added the notorious
.DS_Store files which OS X loves to spray everywhere.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org