corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: incubator-corinthia git commit: 0.07 .gitignore clean-up
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 06:55:49 GMT
> On 10 Aug 2015, at 11:51 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> I do that because source tarballs of release code don't have history.  Just a historical
habit.

> Also, when I crib a file to a different project, likewise.
>
> Does it bother you so much that you don't want to see that kind of thing from me?

It’s not a major problem if it’s only a few config files here and there like .gitignore.
But I would not want to see it in source files. Looking at the git log, we have a very extensive
history of changes, and including the commit messages (or even summaries) in every file would
make them considerably larger. It also complicates merging.

My preference is that we use git in the way it’s designed to be used, instead of a roll-your-own
log system in individual files (esp. when many changes span multiple files). I don’t think
I’ve ever seen anyone else do this in a project which already uses a version control system.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org