corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: OT RE: incubator-corinthia git commit: 0.07 .gitignore clean-up
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 17:20:41 GMT
Thanks Gabriela,

I have no problem making log messages.  I do that along with all of my commits, and I do commits
separately on groups of files that the commit applies to.  (I used the GitHub application
for Windows, since it works for non-GitHub clones too, and it is easy to make commit messages
and create commit subjects.)

I haven't needed to make patches or diffs, although the GitHub application will show diffs
of commits that can be handy for review.

I think this thread may have been confusing about that.  I do use all of the Git commit machinery.
 It is that I *also* annotate and version-number text files (source or other kinds) that I
maintain, for the reasons given.  That happens to be ingrained in my developer work process,
so I use it independent of the source-control that might be in use.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Gabriela Gibson []
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2015 09:37
Subject: Re: OT RE: incubator-corinthia git commit: 0.07 .gitignore clean-up

if you want to write a log message file (which is sometimes useful, if
only for the coder themselves, or of the patch is substantial and
requires a good explanation), you could always use my log message
scribe that turns git diff patches into a log message template, ready
to be filled in with explanations as to what was changed in the code
and why, along the lines of the SVN log message standards.

You can also use it as a quick tool to check over what a patch
changes, it's a shorter read then the patch itself and not a bad

See here:

and it's a Google App, so you can just paste your (C) patch in.  It
also does CMake a little,but not python.

[ ... ]

View raw message