corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [STATUS] Corinthia Home for ODF Interoperability Assessment
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 20:21:11 GMT
I need to clarify something.

In the report below, I provided an update about my ODF Interoperability Assessment work.
I have now initiated that work as a private, non-ASF activity.  I moved the intended destination
for the work, not myself.

I did not leave.  I would have plainly said so if I had.  I have no need to be circumspect
about it.

I am still here.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2015 14:24
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: [STATUS] Corinthia Home for ODF Interoperability Assessment

I was asked recently what the status of this work is now.

As I may have remarked often enough already, what appealed to me about Corinthia was the project
scope item on determining the degree to which ODF, OOXML, and perhaps other formats, are supported
in various implementations.  The ability to assess interoperable use of these formats with
concrete assessment methods appeals to me.  I thought it was great that Corinthia would feature
it.

My starting from the top and working down approach to this has been sketched at
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/ODF>, especially under the topic
"ODF Conformance/Compliance Assurance."

I have been working on this off-project in order to determine the scope of the material.
My current estimate is that there will be extensive tests and the volume will exceed what
Peter saw as appropriate when I asked for advice about this.

My conclusion is that this effort does not fit what the intention for the scope item of Corinthia.
 Instead, I will develop it outside of any specific implementation project (although it should
be useful to any of them).

My original plan was to have enough prepared in 12 months to have enough where others could
use it and also contribute more to it.  That was assuming a start in March when a technical
paper of mine became available.  I moved the start to June, here, and now the best I can hope
for is 12 months from now.  Other activities and life have intervened.  However, this is my
key personal project for this time period, so it will be late Summer 2016 before I expect
there to be enough to be chewed on.

It will be available to Corinthia the same as any other project using ODF.  It will not be
developed as part of Corinthia.

 - Dennis