corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Release_0.1
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2015 17:42:53 GMT
The exclusion of build-tool artifacts is more a safeguard against developers doing IDE editing
and testing in the tree in inappropriate places, just like the "~" case but more serious.

I eliminated those likely suspects because GitHub has found it important.  I included it in
.gitignore as a precautionary reminder.  I did not bring back in all other cases.  But I know
Visual Studio builds are sort of encouraged for Windows.

I am not attached to doing that.  It does strike me as harmless though.

 - Dennis

PS: I removed the external/* entry.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kelly [mailto:pmkelly@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2015 09:59
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Release_0.1

[ ... ] I’ve just had a look at the latest .gitignore and I think some of the entries do
not belong there. Things like .DS_Store and *~ which would reasonably exist in the source
tree are fine in my opinion, but for example *.sln, *.vcxproject etc are not, since they are
supposed to be inside other directories. On my setup I have a “build” (for OS X) and “winbuild”
(for Windows) directories (on my Linux VM I use a separate dir); these just show up as “untracked
files” which do not cause problems.

Visual studio files, XCode project files, Makefiles etc. are not supposed to go in any source
directories other than a custom “build” (or similarly-named) directory if you want (you
can also do it outside of the tree).

As Jan mentioned, external is dead now as we’re using a pre-built zip file of all the libraries.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org