corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject OT RE: incubator-corinthia git commit: 0.07 .gitignore clean-up
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 14:47:42 GMT
For very many years (about 40), source-control systems provided a way to incorporate history-related
information into the source that is checked in, so it travels with checked-out code.  I don't
see this used much anymore.  I use systems that still will do it.  I don't think Git is one
of them, I suppose mainly because the full history goes into clones.  This presumes that everyone
who matters is using Git, of course.

I understand that it is not fashionable to record history, much commentary, or names in the
source code of many open-source projects, all for a variety of reasons.  It may well be that
my natural habits, developed over a long period of time, are incompatible.  So be it.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kelly [mailto:pmkelly@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2015 23:59
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: incubator-corinthia git commit: 0.07 .gitignore clean-up

Also one other point I forgot to mention about history for releases - this is available from
the git repository for anyone who wants it, by going to the tag/branch for that particular
release.

Many projects include a ChangeLog file in their release with a summary of what’s changed
(though not as detailed as individual files or a complete git log). I think ChangeLog files
make sense on a per-release basis, then people can use that as a guide if they want to go
into the git log and see all the details.

[ ... ]