corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] make release 0.1
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2015 18:33:25 GMT
Isn't this limiting contributors to those mentioned in a commit log entry or who push files
to the repository?

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: jan i [mailto:jani@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, August 1, 2015 11:06
To: dev@corinthia.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] make release 0.1

On 1 August 2015 at 19:59, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:

> Peter Kelly wrote:
>
>> On 1 Aug 2015, at 10:18 pm, jan i wrote:
>>> +1, I assume you mean the file contains the names of people who have
>>> actively done commits on what is being released ?
>>>
>> Yes - everyone who’s name is present as an author or committer in the git
>> log
>>

> I've seen this debated somewhere. I don't remember the answer, but maybe
> it's good to check with the Incubator PMC and ask. For sure it's stupid to
> annotate the source files directly, and nobody is proposing this here. As
> for a separate file with contributors, I find it totally reasonable but I
> seem to recall a discussion saying that attribution at the ASF is tracked
> exclusively in version control logs... I don't remember seeing a compelling
> reason for that anyway.

I remember the debate, and the keyword here is "tracked". We cannot use
CONTRIBUTORS to track e.g. people who do patches, that must in the version
control itself.

But we can extract from the version control and generate CONTRIBUTORS. In
order to avoid discussions later (with IPMC), I would add a couple of
sentences in the top of the file, explaining how it is generated.

rgds
jan i.