corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Criteria for becoming committer in Corinthia.
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2015 13:40:10 GMT

> On 30 Jul 15, at 03:28, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, July 28, 2015, Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> On 28 Jul 15, at 10:24, jan i <jani@apache.org <javascript:;>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> As was obvious from other discussions (in private), we need to agree on
>>> what are the "rules"
>>> for being accepted as a committer. It is also obvious that there are room
>>> for diversity in how
>>> we apply the rules.
>>
>> Note: first, I like your framework and like, too, the flexibility
>> implicit. I also dislike rules that bind actions into rituals even when the
>> originating context has faded. I don’t think your suggestions do.
>>
>> However….
>> mild rant/
>>
>> Do we need rules? I’d think that in a small project, "rules" are better
>> understood as "conventions," or even "agreements." The difference is simply
>> that a step toward the codification of practice in the form of scripted
>> rules often—but not inevitably—doesn’t really add to the working of the
>> project. Unless I’m missing something here? I can see that when Corinthia
>> has more people and—one can only hope—diverging opinions and the
>> wherewithal to back them up—then bureaucratic and transparent systems will
>> be useful, as these are designed to minimise arbitrariness. But right now?
>> Of course, as Dennis enthusiastically +1’d, no doubt I’m missing something
>> here, and it really is the case that Corinthia needs rules now, as opposed
>> to, well, common sense modulo open source collaboration subjunctive Apache.
>>
>> /end mild rant
>>
>> All that said, I find nothing objectionable in the clear description you
>> offer—thanks.
>
> it is a good suggestion, let us talk about "conventions".
>
> Maybe we should also add a convention about what happens if a single PPMC
> do not want
> to work towards consensus (of course after ample time to discuss).

What I’ve done previously is use the term, "guidelines," which has the same force as convention
but is perhaps more codified. I would suggest that if consensus is not reached—and consensus
is desirable, then a graceful fallback would be to supermajority (>60 percent of voting
members), or, if agreed upon by a supermajority, just taking the proposal off the table. Yes,
I’m aware that my inclination to bureaucracy has add more words than you (or I) would want.
But what I try to do, too, is see how people actually operate, then suggest from that, provided
that the people in question (us) are few in number and generally in agreement. If things are
working fine, then why introduce elements that can complicate matters, and even distort them?
If things are in fact broken—are they? I mean "broken" in that conversation has collapsed—then
the rules or guidelines or whatever make more sense.

All that said, tracking what we do, whether for a report or for the purpose of onboarding
new members is hugely important and much of it is done automagically via email list archives.
Asserting areas that probably need more monitoring—areas where there is either disagreement
because views differ on how to do something or because no one has a clue and arguing is part
of the necessary process—these can generate their own loose rules, where the grammar of
rule making is, I suppose, accordance with the achievement of what is generally wanted out
of that particular aspect of Corinthia or even Corinthia as such.

And again, I hardly disagree with your suggestions or efforts. And I also absolutely understand
the psychological benefit of having boundaries to channel intensity.

best
louis

>>> 2) Candidate has submitted patches (not necessarily through dev@)