corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <>
Subject [PROPOSAL] make release 0.1
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:21:36 GMT
Traditionally cutting the first apache release for a podling is one big
PITA, therefore
I propose we get started.

I propose we make release 0.1 consisting of
    - docFormats (the library only with the OOXML filter)
    - dfTest (the main test utility)
    - dfUtil (the conversion utility)

We have a lot to learn here, about the files LICENSES and NOTICE and about
how to
handle release candidates and the final release, therefore I propose to
include the
"stable" parts. It can be argued that version 0.1 is not very useful for a
end-user, which
might be right, but it helps us get the release framework up and running.

Once we have 0.1 through the needle of IPMC, version 0.2 can focus a lot
more on the
technical content.

The steps we have to pass (I have surely forgotten a number) are:
- Make a branch (stable_0.1) that only contains what we intent to release
- Make it work (adapt CMake files etc)
- Prepare a release candidate (upload source with SHA5 to somewhere on dist)
- Vote on the release (min. 3 +1 NO -1)
- Ask IPMC to check the release and have them vote on it
  this is the needle, they tend to find things we have not thought about,
  but Justin (he is one of the best release checkers in incubators) earlier
  me to do a pre-check so we avoid the normal errors.
- When the vote finally passes, move the source to the release part of dist.
- Congratulate each other with work well done.

If we agree on the content and the idea of cutting a release, I volunteer
to do the work and
of course write about every step in here (and on the wiki), so we all learn
from the experience.
I do however need help from e.g. Dave, with some of the specialties.

Following the suggestion from Dave, Let us discuss this until August 7th,
and then see
if we have reached consensus.

Comments ?

jan i.