corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is Qt the right choice ??
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2015 12:41:25 GMT
On 26 July 2015 at 13:38, Ian C <ian@amham.net> wrote:

> I've just been poking around for a few minutes to see what is out
> there for HTML editing.
>
> There seem to be quite a few. Instead of creating one maybe we just
> piggy back on one or more of the existing editors and maybe supply a
> plugin.
> Eg http://ckeditor.com/ ?

That is an idea, but we need to find one, that has a license we can use
(same goes for a library)

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

I am also not sure a standard editor would work well for us, we need e.g.
to present styles and render according to the styles. Most editors are
simple html editors.

> I'm not entirely clear how an editor would fit into our system.
> If for instance we want to edit an ODF document then behind the scenes
> it will call dfconvert to create html.
> The editor will then render the HTML and a user can add/edit/delete
> sections as required.
> Then we have a saveAs so they can write it back to ODF (which since it
> came from ODF I assume would be the default)
> or can save into another format?
>
> Then behind the scenes again it will call dfconvert put to update the
> original document? Or dfcreate if saving to a different format?

Yes that is about it.
- open a file in any supported format
- edit the file (remember it is a word processor, not a simple editor)
- Update the original document or save in another format.

> So what I am suggesting is if we can find one we can just make it use our
> tools?

If we can find a word processor (editor) then I am all for it.

> Are there any other Apache projects with HTML editors? I saw Lenya pop
> up but that doesn't look like a fit.

We do not want to edit the HTML as such, we want to have an editor which
format is based
on html but we edit as e.g. with word.

rgds
jan i.