corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODF 1.2 links
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:29:52 GMT
On 17 July 2015 at 17:22, Peter Kelly <pmkelly@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 17 Jul 2015, at 6:47 pm, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > For those working on ODF this blog might be of interest.
> >
> https://blog.documentfoundation.org/2015/07/17/open-document-format-odf-1-2-published-as-international-standard-263002015-by-isoiec/
> >
> > I am thinking of updating our web pages to have the links to ISO
> included,
> > thoughts ?
>
> Yes, I think we should definitely do so.
>
> I wonder about compatibility issues we may have to address now with the
> multiple versions of ODF. If I recall correctly, some versions of MS Office
> only support an older version of the standard (I can’t remember if it was
> 1.0 or 1.1).

if was so, but has not been for some years.

> For those more familiar with the details of ODF versions - should we
> support conversion to specific versions of the formats? E.g. convert to ODF
> 1.1 or ODF 1.2, in case the user wants to open the document in an
> application that only supports the former?

ODF 1.2 has been around since 2011 as standard, but has just now been voted
in as ISO standard.

I think we only need to support ODF 1.2, BUT the question is still valid,
because ODF 1.2 allows "extensions" which are used by both AOO and LO. I
have also just
been informed (on AOO dev@) that ODF 1.3 is work in progress, but only very
slowly.

In general we should be able to read (and due to our update method) also
write all versions, but I would not offer a converter between versions,
there are plenty out
there, so it is not really needed.

rgds
jan i.