corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From jan i <>
Subject Is Qt the right choice ??
Date Sun, 26 Jul 2015 10:16:56 GMT

I am currently updating the cmake files to cover e.g. the editor and see
some problems.

I know we decided to use Qt, but I would like to take the discussion again.

If we use Qt the editor will never be a released product, it will remain an
optional product, and
I think we will want to position the editor as a main feature of corinthia.

There is an alternative to Qt, which is a little more work but not much. If
we look at how peter
currently uses Qtwebkit it is pretty simple and static.

Webkit is builtin on OS-X, therefore we can use it, without thinking too
long about the licenses
(we do not ask people to download extra libraries, so it is at the same
level that we also depend on windows sdk-api).

We cannot use webkit on windows because it is LGPL (same as Qt), but we can
use mshtml or IWebBrowser2. My idea is to make a simple set of wrapper
functions, so that
the editor as such does not see the difference. That would allow us
to have the editor as a main feature.

thoughts ?

jan i.