corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal editor development framework.
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2015 03:53:01 GMT
> On 30 Jul 2015, at 3:39 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> While Corinthia is in the incubator, all releases, once approved by the project, must
be reviewed and approved by the Incubator PMC.

> For the first release there will be great scrutiny on IP provenance in the source code.
 It is then expected that a mechanism to continue having clean IP provenance will be sustained
throughout incubation and into the future whenever Corinthia becomes a Top-Level Apache Project
(TLP).  This scrutiny also includes dealing with the presence of third party software, or
dependence on third-party software, essential to use of a built version of the software.
(There is no problem with tools used to build the software, so long as they don't impose license
conditions on what is built.)

I don’t anticipate including the desktop app in the first release - I think the main (if
not exclusive) focus should be on DocFormats, given that’s had the most attention from participants
to date.

And if my understanding of the rules is correct, there is no problem with us including sample
code that demonstrates one way in which someone might construct an editor, *even if* that
was entirely dependent on Qt (which it won’t be, as outlined int he framework).

> Part of the reason for incubation is to provide a learning curve for the new project
with respect to how ASF projects operate and the basic principles and, in some cases, specific
policies.

> It is not at all unusual that there will be some deconstruction of natural inclinations
and suppositions when the constraints on being an Apache Project are encountered and then
dealt with.

My natural inclination is to find solutions to problems so that the goals of whatever projects
I’m working on can be achieved. This is one such case, and what myself and others in this
discussion are doing is trying to move forward, rather than just give up at the first hurdle.
I’m not going to have that particular natural inclination being “deconstructed” or “dealt
with”. And I’m not going to abandon Apache because of this, because as has been explained
elsewhere, there are ways in which we can achieve our goals while complying with the rules.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org