corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <>
Subject RE: ODF 1.2 links
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2015 20:56:13 GMT
There is a simple deviation from ODF 1.2 Packages that makes ODF 1.2 documents consumable by
Office 2007.  Microsoft uses the deviation themselves to avoid producing ODF 1.2 documents
that Office 2007 won't open.

Since most of the time, and especially for Corinthia, it is doubtful that a feature will be
emitted that would be interpreted incorrectly by an ODF 1.1 consumer, this will be very safe
to do.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kelly []
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2015 12:13
Subject: Re: ODF 1.2 links

Thanks for the detailed (as always!) explanation. It sounds like ODF 1.2 is the way to go.
My main concern was Office 2007 - I know that some segments of the user base stick with old
versions of MS Office for a regrettably long period of time. But given it’s age and the
nature of our project, I think it make sense to target 1.2 as the only output version. We
can always revisit this later if needed.

Dr Peter M. Kelly

PGP key: <>

> On 18 Jul 2015, at 1:49 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <> wrote:
> The content of the ISO documents is the same as that of the original ones from OASIS.
 However, through some sort of mixup, one of the key OASIS ODF 1.2 Standard documents, and
all of the schemas, are omitted at ISO.
> My recommendation is to continue to use the links that I have provided to the OASIS standards.
 The best way to obtain all of the material is to download the Zip that includes ODF versions
(good test documents!) and also PDF versions, along with all companion files (schemas) and
the HTML versions too.  That will show you how OpenOffice saves ODF document as HTML and how
it understand the HTML that it reads.
> The detailed handling of ODF 1.0/1.1 compatibility is a little tricky and will take more
explanation.  It is important to realize that there are legacy documents in ODF 1.0/1.1 format
(where the differences between 1.0 and 1.1 are negligible) and some folks continue to use
older versions of processors that only accept/produce those versions of the format.
> The ODF 1.1 standard is intended to be kept available, however the folks who set up the
ISO update failed to preserver the ODF 1.1 (with Errata) specification for download.
> The ODF 1.1 specification is still available from OASIS, is still usable, and documents
that conform to ODF 1.1 are still in the wild.  Also, there are products, such as Microsoft
Office 2007 SP2, that only support ODF 1.1.
> I will add links to the latest ODF 1.1, with its Errata (show as tracked changes).  At
the moment, these are only available at OASIS since ISO managed to drop them from their "freely
available standards" list.  That may be corrected, but ISO moves slowly.
> It is easily detectable when a document file is in ODF 1.1 instead of ODF 1.2 format.
 Also, for the most part, there are no breaking changes.  There are a couple of important
ones and our test documents should deal with those.
> In practice, there are also far more OpenOffice-only extensions in ODF 1.1 documents.
 For example, there were no spreadsheet formulas define in ODF 1.1 so you will see a custom
namespace in Calc ODF 1.1 documents.  The custom formula format is not the
same as what became OpenFormula in ODF 1.2, although there are many similarities and they
are mainly upward convertible.  Generally, however, one can safely treat an ODF 1.1 document
the same as an ODF 1.2 document, but you need to do more work if you want to preserve it as
ODF 1.1 when updating or creating from an ODF 1.2-oriented processor.
> - Dennis

View raw message