corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Is Qt the right choice ??
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2015 20:39:01 GMT
I don't want to dive into this.  I do want to correct some misconceptions of my views.

Key Point: When an LGPL dependence is made optional, I believe it is not that it is optionally
removable/replaceable.  My understanding is that it is optionally introduceable.  Not optionally
removed/replaced.

I am concerned that this view of "optional" will be seen as gaming the policy on Category
X software when it is time to have a Corinthia release approved by the Incubator PMC.

I don't understand the inference that I don't see an editor as part of Corinthia.  There is
no basis for that inference.  I thought having an editor was the whole point of the Corinthia
model and the architectural approach.  I have never said anything to the contrary.  I have
opinions about the building of an editor and I would be very disappointed if Corinthia did
not provide at least one portably-compilable/-deployable editor.

 - Dennis

PS: I am usually very careful to speak of source-code *releases* and binary *distributions.*
 If I have not made that clear in speaking of binaries, it is a mistake on my part.  For example,
when I say "Any project-provided binary distribution ..." I am not speaking of an Apache Project
release, even when those are often produced in company with Apache releases.  I thought I
had cleared that up in previous conversations somewhere.

PPS: Jar files, a form of binaries, are often provided for Java-based Apache Projects.  These
days, I would not be surprised to see signed libraries also be provided (i.e., DLLs and the
ilk).