corinthia-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Kelly <pmke...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Corinthia Home for ODF Interoperability Assessment
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2015 04:52:27 GMT
> On 16 Jun 2015, at 3:11 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> I want to start building specimen documents that fit the model of interoperability assessment
that is sketched (sketchily) at
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Corinthia/ODF> under the "ODF Conformance/Compliance
Assurance helix."

> My thought is to create a branch having a folder, "InteropAssess" with subfolder "ODF"
to start a subtree of folders that develop specimens that demonstrate particular aspects of
ODF documents.  These can be used as test suites but are not intended to be the same as ad
hoc tests created to exercising particular Corinthia and DocFormats functions.  Rather they
are addressed to the standards and any profiling of processors, with DocFormats being only
one.

What sort of data volume do you think these are likely to consume? I’m just thinking about
repository size and keeping it manageable (to allow people to quickly clone the repo if they
want to build it). If it’s only a few Mb or so, I’d say put them in the main repository,
otherwise it might be more appropriate to store these in a separate repository. Do you know
if Infra supports multiple repositories per project?

> MY HESITATION
>
> I don't quite like putting these in a Git repository because it is important and useful
to cross-reference among the materials and I am not clear how that can happen in a non-web
repository system.  I do know how to make it work with a SubVersion repository because one
can use the fact that the SVN is part of a web site and can be navigated with a browser.
One can even put HTML pages in an SVN repository and use (relative) links to cross-reference
among the material.

> That is an extremely valuable way to do what I have in mind.
>
> Is this possible with the Corinthia Git repository?

Yes - though with the caveat that it depends on there being a particular server that contains
a clone of the repository. For Corinthia, you can access the files here:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-corinthia.git

And to reference a specific file:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-corinthia.git;a=blob_plain;f=DocFormats/CMakeLists.txt;hb=377421ecf076e553beedc075e2baef65a3e7e3b0

The main problem is that these URLs are not necessarily stable; git-wip-us.apache.org will
presumably become git-us.apache.org at some point, and upon graduation our repository will
be called corinthia instead of incubator-corinthia.

Another options - since our website is just static files, we could alternatively host the
files there (while still storing the documents in the repository, and having a script which
copies up the files to the site. However this still has the problem of URL stability - http://corinthia.incubator.apache.org
would become http://incubator.apache.org upon graduation. I’m not sure how important URL
stability is to you for this particular use case; if it’s not critical then we should be
ok with either of these options.

Regarding the way in which the HTML structure on the website is done, this would not have
an impact, as the files could simply be placed in a separate directory and be linked to from
the main page. There’s nothing special or abnormal that would need to be done here.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org